Sunday, January 6, 2013

It is 2013, the beginning of a new year.  For many people, the concept of "new" is equivalent to fresh, revitalizing, a new start, and new beginnings.  New=opportunity, uncharted territory in the expansive terrain of life.  I began wondering, not what does this mean for me, this idea of "new", but for the world.  I have come to a single conclusion.  I have found one word out of millions of possibilities that, from my vantage point, sums up the global perspective, and it is HOPE.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where what receives the most press, the greatest amount of media coverage, and the freedom to enter our televisions, computers, phones and minds, is NEGATIVE.  Too often, I find myself succumbing to the darkness that one inevitably feels when confronted with an endless stream of war, rape, murder, coups, political unrest, natural disasters, child exploitation, human trafficking, and the list goes on and on and on.

I, however, want to be extremely well informed.  I want to know and understand the WORLD I live in.  The first thing I do every morning, after brewing coffee, is read the morning's news on BBC.com.  I will not stop doing this because I feel as though knowing what happened today, around the world, makes me a more conscientious, well-informed individual.  Where does the balance lie then?  This was the question I needed to answer, for myself, and I have.

The balance lies right here, in the commitment that I have made to myself and to you by creating this blog, by writing these words.  Here it is: I pledge to always look for the GOLD LINING, and when I find it, to pass it on, right here, right now.  In every story, no matter how dark, I truly believe that there exists a glimmer of hope, and that is the GOLD.  It frames the human existence, and is what allows people who have survived inconceivable loss to keep going, and not only survive but thrive.  I have seen this first hand, time and time again.  For almost ten years now, I have been involved, in one capacity or another, with various refugee population in the United States.  Never have I been so humbled, or inspired, as I was after hearing their stories and witnessing the lives they continue building for themselves here.

So, it is simple.  My plan is to find the GOLD LINING in different stories that I encounter, and to share them with you.  I encourage you to do the same.  I will not argue with the FACT that this world can be a dark and hateful place, but I will not succumb to it by ignoring the HOPE that simultaneously exists with it.  I am choosing to search for that, in everything I see.    

2 comments:

  1. Excellent frame of mind to take into the new year, we have enough people reporting the dark depressing stories of our time and casting shadows over the good stories in hopes to make them more appealing to the reader (ashame they feel they have to do such a thing to make them more appealing, and even worst its what a vast majority of Americans are interested in reading). There are many horrible events that take place in our world, but I believe it's good to have a ray of light casting through the shadows that provides hope to those who choose to see it. I love my wifey, you go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to enter a new year looking toward the GOLD LINING! As someone who knows you pretty well, I am not surprised that you have endeavored to write such a positive blog because you are one of the most positive people I know! You light up a room with your happiness and your love for others! You encourage all of us who know you and inspire many of us to look for the best in everything.

    We all must live fully in the moment and wake up to God's blessing everyday. In doing so we will transform our lives. A book I am currently reading entitled "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp enlightens the reader to contemplate the Greek word "Eucharisteo", thanksgiving. She states in the book that "As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible...." then she goes on to say, "the holy grail of joy is not in some exotic location or some emotional mountain peak experience. The joy in life is here and now! Here in this messy world. If we can wake up everyday and count our blessings and express gratitude/thanksgiving/Eucharisteo, then we are experiencing the fullness of life. So in writing this blog you are definitely one to something my sweet daughter-in-law! It is this immense expression of thankfulness, hope and gratitude that helps us live life to the fullest! Praise God for such a wonderful world He has provided for us and for so many blessings that we cannot count them! This should give us all HOPE and help us see the GOLD LININGS in life. A dear friend of mine said to me today that her New Year's resolution is to "live without fear". Just think what could happen if we all lived life this way while listening to God's voice and direction for our lives and by spending quiet time with Him everyday expressing our gratitude for all our blessings! How could it be any better than that!!

    ReplyDelete